Lawn Bag Structure

1:00 AM

My professor recently went to Iceland to study the area for some of his personal work. Before his departure we had a contest. We were given one lawn bag with the instructions to make it the tallest structure using only the bag and masking tape, BUT we had to figure out a way to connect everything without taping pieces together, with only one class period and the first hour of the next to work on it. We all got started right away, planning, sketching and designing potentially the tallest structure we can make. Most of us were halfway done when our professor decided to add one more requirement. It had to be aesthetically pleasing. To add even more excitement two handmade trophies, courtesy of our professor, were going to be given to the student with the tallest structure and another to a student that had the best aesthetic appeal. 

The structure closest to the ladder was mine. When our professor announced to try and make it aesthetically pleasing I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I knew that I couldn't put extra time into this project because I had to put more focus on another class that week. So, I improvised. I added different shaped and sized "flaps" and spread them along the structure. (They actually helped keep my structure balanced) I also built two smaller boxes in hopes to add height and character. 

Unfortunately I didn't win either trophy. It's alright though because I was pleased with my project (for once). It ended up being the third highest! That's something to be proud of, at least I think so. 

Keeping in mind to make it aesthetically pleasing I had just enough time and scraps to make this rose. I wanted to place it on top of the structure but it was too heavy. Therefore I put it in one of the holes I cut on the bottom box.

I definitely had a different outlook on this project. I worried less about it (in a good way) and kept an open mind and didn't freak out when he gave us a last minute requirement. I worked to the very last second too (that seems to be pretty common with any art project though). Next time, I'll keep in mind that regardless of the requirements it should always look aesthetically pleasing. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images