What is That?

12:21 AM

Last Thursday, we critiqued our third project in Space Studio. With this assignment, we were told to draw ten different sketches of an object that has both positive and negative space then create a structure based off the drawings with a choice between cardboard, rosin paper and chipboard. Keeping in mind that we aren't supposed to know what the object is supposed to be. The day the drawings of our item was due, we were told to switch our sketches with someone else...totally unexpected. So now instead of sculpting our original item we're creating somebody else's. 

We had a choice between four sketches. I chose this one because I felt it was the most interesting sketch Andy had. Can you guess what it is? Keep reading and you'll find out! 

Since the sketch was very flat I saw more opportunity and more freedom. I noticed that every single person in class were using cardboard, which made me NOT want to use it. Therefore, I chose to work with chipboard. I've never worked with it before and knew it be a challenge. Challenge accepted. My original idea was to have the structure stand at least three feet (the minimal requirement), yet that didn't go as planned. But that's okay because it worked out better than I wanted it to. I made doubles of each piece, taped the two together and puffed them to add volume. This time, we were also allowed to use colored tape and hot glue (I barely used hot glue). I also used the technique of bending to give it a more definition.

I hung it up because I knew it wouldn't be viewed properly if it were on the ground. It even had a little spin to it. Classmates compared it to a wind chime and referred it to being a bit "kitchy", and that's only because it spun. 

Tension was another word that was brought up throughout the entire critique. It was pointed out that my work did have the required tension it needed to be successful, but of course could have a little more tension. Perhaps hanging it in an "ill-logical" way would have made it better. Some were not a fan of the blue tape and believed that it served no real purpose to the piece other than it's being held together, others commented on how they enjoy the contrast between the blue and the brown and said the outline drew their eyes around the structure. 

Another topic that we spent time discussing was flatness. There were many projects that were "flat" with hardly any volume. It was suggested that almost everyone could have had more volume to the project, including myself. Thankfully, my system of "puffing" the two chipboard pieces taped together was noticed and worked well. Although it may look flat from a far, it really wasn't. You had to get close to the structure to see it's true form. 

Overall, this was a fun project. Even though my original plans didn't work out it still turned out better than I thought. I took my own advice from the group project. I had a different mind-set. There was a point where I was bummed because it wasn't doing what I wanted it to do, but I was no where near as bummed as I was with the Bender project. I was pleased with my work before the critique and I think it showed. So what would I do differently? Next time I will probably make it much larger (most of us had the minimal requirement of three feet), more dramatic and give it even more volume, but not too much.  I will also continue to work on having an open mind set throughout the duration of the project. Other than that I believe this was one of the most successful projects I've done. I wish I would have kept it though...sigh. Oh yeah I haven't mentioned what the drawing was supposed to be have I? They're scissors!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images